Friday, August 16, 2013

Lean in 13 - Day 1

Lindsey and I started a new challenge today that is going to transform our bodies and life and I wanted to share my journey with you.  I was tired of dieting on and off and working out inconsitently with no plan when I went to the gym.  I did not know what worked or did not work.  I figured if I felt tired after the gym and sore the next day than I must have done something right.  But I had no direction.  I had worked out with a trainer in the past but nothing stuck with me.  I needed a new challenge that would incorporate diet and excercise together.

The new challenge is called "Lean in 13."  It is part of an Advocare challenge plan that includes eating guidelines, work-out regiment, and daily supplements. 

I started the challenge with a pre-challenge 10 day cleanse.  I needed to clean out my "lint trap."  A dryer will dry your clothes adaquaetly but if you clean out the lint trap, the dryer is going to be the most efficient and dry your clothes with less energy and faster.  Your body collects toxins (the lint) throughout our life through the foods we eat and the even the air we breathe.  So first I needed to clean out the system.  I did the Advocare 10 day cleanse with great results.  Even though it is not a "weight loss" program, I still ended up losing 3 pounds in 10 days!  And the best part of the cleanse, is that it was gentle and uneventful.  No lengthy bathroom visits and upset stomachs.

So today marks the first day of the Lean in 13 plan: 8/15/13.  Here is the break down of my supplement, diet, and excercise routine.

Supplement and Diet:

7:30: MNS "30 minute before breakfast" color pack, 3 Catalyst, and 2 ThermoPlus

8:00: Meal Replacement Shake, and 2 MNS "white" packs

10:30: 1/4 cups almonds

(11:00: workout)

12:30: MNS "30 minues before Lunch" color pack, 3 Catalyst, and 2 ThermoPlus

1:00:  Grilled Chicken Salad - 8 ounces grilled chicken, lettuce, onion, celery

3:00:  Muscle Gain Protein Shake

5:30: Zucchini Spaghetti - zucchini, organic marinara sauce, grilled chicken

8:00: Celery with natural peanut butter

Excercise:

The Lean in 13 program follows a specific workout regiment to maximize results and allow the body to "burn" fat using a 3 day "Burn phase" and 1 day "Refuel Phase" pattern.  Within the 3 day "Burn Phase" day 1 and 3 include interval training and weight lifting and day 2 is only moderate intesity cardio.  Day 4 the "refuel phase" is light cardio to recover.

So day 1 consists of interval training and weight lifting.  At 11:00 I started my interval training with a run outside.  I now know the difference between a jog and a run!  I would always jog in the past but not on this program. 

I chose the intermediate level which consists of 30 minutes of interval training.  This is what I did:
Minute 1 is 50% effort - a walk
Minute 2 is 70% effort - a jog
Minute 3 is 100% effort - a sprint
This was for 30 minutes, so 10 circuits of this 3 minute pattern.  I used the app: "Interval Timer - For Fitness and Workouts" a free app (on apple app store) that you can setup to buzz at each interval to cue when to switch to the next minute.  It was one of the hardest workouts I've done in a long time.  But after I was finished, I felt amazing.

After the interval training, Lindsey and I did the weight lifting portion.  This is what I did:
5 body part sections, 2 sets each: Chest/back, biceps/triceps, shoulders, legs, and abdominals.  Repeitions and weights depended on the "burn" of each set.  I did the set until I felt the muscle burn then did 2 more.  The total time probably took 15 minutes of weight lifting.

So total of 45 minutes of a workout and my body was spent.  I knew I had worked out.  I knew I achieved max burn in the muscles and max heart rate with the cardio interval training with the ultimate goal of maximizing fat burning and metabolism boosting.


Today is Day 1 of 13.  Currently my weight is 179.6.  I took my measurements as well. 


If you are interested in this program here are some links to the different parts of the program:

Lean in 13 Program - http://www.choosethechallenge.com/lean-in-13.html

Advocare Products/Supplements - http://www.24andmuchmore.com


My hope in documenting this process is 1) keep myself accountable and 2) Use my body as an example for others to see there is hope for them to reach their fitness/weight goals and to live a healthier lifestyle.  Keep in touch to see my journey and results.

-The Joyful and Tired Dad


        

No comments:

Post a Comment